Hamden Covered Bridge

Hamden is known for having one of the last few remaining covered bridges. The bridge was originally built in 1859 by Robert Murray at a cost of $1,000. It is 128′ long. In 1966, four windows were added to the bridge to stop people from knocking out boards to fish through. In 2001, the bridge was newly restored. For more information, visit the New York State Covered Bridge Society’s website at: www.nycoveredbridges.org
The West Branch of the Delaware, famous for its fishing, runs through the town.

Delaware River

Hamden Ballfield

Located on Launt Hollow Road, the very first mention of a baseball game in an American newspaper was for a game to be played in Hamden: The following notice appeared in the July 13‚ 1825 Hamden edition of the Delhi Gazette: “The undersigned‚ all residents of the new town of Hamden‚ with the exception of Asa Howland‚ who has recently removed to Delhi‚ challenge an equal number of persons of any town in the County of Delaware‚ to meet them at any time at the house of Edward B. Chace‚ in said town‚ to play the game of Bass-Ball‚ for the sum of one dollar each per game.”
Hamden NY Historic Baseball
Hamden Schoolhouse Museum

The District Number 1 one-room schoolhouse, built in 1859, served rural children continuously for 95 years. All the wood used in construction of the school in 1858 was milled at the William Mallory Farm, a short distance away. The quarter-acre lot was purchased at a cost of ten dollars from Wesley and Ferris Terry. Mr. James Russell was paid 88¢ to grade the lot and also lay up the field stone foundation. Among the interesting items, on display include a rare 1849 map and the teacher’s hand bell, that was used by Mrs. Bertha Broughton who taught there from 1947 until the school’s closing in 1954.

Hamden Schoolhouse Museum

Community Links

Comments are closed.

Close Search Window